Friday 20 September 2013

Dogtrainingsecrets.com


I remember chasing a neighbour 's lab around the yard because he got into their garbage and grabbed a turkey carcass. Turkey and chicken bones can do a lot of damage to our dogs. Sharp brittle bird bones can puncture intestinal walls, chip teeth, cause gastric upset, and worse obstructed the intestines.
We did get the carcass away with a lot of effort!


Reading an email this morning from the Dogtrainingsecrets.com made me wish that this owner had taught his dog to drop it.

HERE IS THE EMAIL

Do you know what the 2nd most important skill to teach 
your dog is, if you want a dog who is completely obedient 
and hassle free?

     Its the "Drop It" command.

     Here's why...

     Yesterday I talked to you about how there is a RIGHT 
and a WRONG way to stop your dog to drop something that he's 
not supposed to have.

     And how chasing your dog and prying it out of his mouth 
just imposes the Forbidden Fruit principal on your dog and 
make him want to be sneakier, and sneakier about his 
misbheavior every time he does something he knows he's not 
supposed to.

     People laugh when they see dogs do this, and it can be 
funny, but its a REAL long term problem.

     Luckily the Drop it, is a better way.

     When you teach the drop it the right way, you end up 
conditioning your dog that giving up items of high value, 
means they get something even better in return.

     Its just like basic economics...

     Lets say someone approaches me and asks to borrow some 
money from me.

     I don't know them well, and I've never loaned them 
money before so I'm a little reluctant and say no.

     But they shmooze me for a while, and I kinda start to 
like them, and eventually end up loaning them the money.

     What happens if they don't pay me back?

     Am I more or less likely to loan them money next time 
they ask?

     Contrast that example with a different scenario.

     Lets say someone asks to borrow money and agree's to 
pay it back... nothing more, just pay it back.

     And lets say I agree to this deal, loan them the money, 
a sum that makes me a little nervous to part with, but I gow 
ahead and give them the money.

     Then at 9am the next morning, my doorbell rings, and 
its my friend saying, "Thanks for helping me out, here's all 
your money back, and an extra $100 as my way of saying 
thanks for helping me out."

     Now how much more likely am I go loan him money?

     If my friend gets good at pursuading me to keep giving 
him money, and he keeps generating a return and always pays 
me back, I become very willing to give him what he wants.

     Plus I become more willing to keep loaning him things 
of higher, and higher value.

     Now in our backstabing people world, this is how people 
get taken advantage of, by people who earn their trust, only 
to take their money and run.

     But dogs don't think like that, and WE are the only 
ones who can betray the trust, the dog is the one loaning 
YOU its things.

     That's the way you have to look at this stuff when it 
comes to asking your dog to drop something of high value to 
him.

     You have to prove that you'll give it back with 
interest.

     Simple, Right?

     Just remember that in this example, MONEY to a dog, 
represents anything your dog values.

     You just have to learn how to tell your dog, "Here is 
something that you value MORE then your "money", and I will 
give it to you in exchange for your 'money' plus pay you 
interest"


     If you'd like to see step-by-step videos of exactly how 
to teach your dog this, and condition your dog to be EXCITED 
about giving up high value items, it's something I cover in 
our Hands Off Dog Training course.

     There are a couple of different ways to teach it, 
depending on how your dog is motivated, but don't worry, we 
cover them all in detail.

     The key thing to remember though, is that you have to 
first establish that you are WORTH loaning 'money' to.

     And you don't build that trust by asking for the 
million dollar loan right up front...

     You start by asking to borrow a quarter.

     And you don't ever ask for anything more then a quarter 
until your dog is willing to give it over every time you 
ask, VERY easily.

     That's all for today!

Sincerely,

Chet Womach

No comments:

Post a Comment